Who can apply?
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with basic knowledge in Geology (minimum 3 years of study or 180 ECTS credits) or a Bachelor’s Degree in Minerals Engineering, Mining Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Geological Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering or a Master’s degree in Geology.
The EMerald Master Programme provides an engineering diploma, therefore at least 22.5 ECTS in university level mathematics is required for application eligibility.
Find below the main documents that will need to be provided for your EMerald Master Programme application:
- A copy of your passport AND a sworn translation into English of your birth certificate*. Only selected students will have to provide us with a French translation of their birth certificate (this is compulsory to register at a French University)
- A photo (ID format)
- Your up-to-date resume in English (maximum 1 page)
- A personal motivation letter in English
- A copy of your High School Diploma and a sworn translation into English or French*
- A copy of your higher education studies diploma and transcript of records with a sworn translation into English or French*
- An English Proficiency test/document for non-English speakers (TOEFL min.87, IELTS min. 6.5 or any other document stating your English proficiency (B2-C1 min.)
- Official documents highlighting your accomplishments over the last five years (studies, internships, employment)
- A recommendation letter
- An official document issued within 12 months of the submission deadline (12th April 2019) showing your place of residence. This could be a residence certificate issued in accordance with your municipality, normal registration rules or a certificate from your place of work, study or training issued by the employer or institution in question
All copies must be certified. Simple translations can be accepted, but once in Belgium you will have to provide the original documents. Therefore it is useful to upload certified copies.*
*If your documents are originally in English, then you are not required to provide a translation.
Selection of candidates is carried out as a cooperative process between the academic partner universities and the final selection is based on consensus agreement. The selection procedure is based on academic qualifications, with a focus on qualitative and quantitative indicators of the applicants:
- Academic background
- Motivation letter
- Language skills
- Work experience
All applications go through the same selection process regardless of the student’s gender. However, for students that are at the same level and have the same qualifications, priority will be given to under-represented genders. Students with special needs are encouraged to apply to the programme and should inform the administrative coordinator upon application, to allow us to take the necessary measures of care if the student is finally admitted to the programme.
Information relating to individuals’ personal data is collected and used in accordance with the Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18.12.2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data (OJ L8 of 12.1.2001, p. 1).
If a candidate is not selected, their personal documents uploaded to apply to the EMerald Master Programme will be deleted.